Sunday, May 5, 2013

Another half marathon ...done!

We did it !! I am so proud of us. Carrie and I worked so hard to finish with a sub-3 hour time and we did !! 2:53:36...I am so happy!!I know we are slow, but damn I am proud! I seriously have been scared of this run because I have not put a great effort in during the last few weeks.....ok months. I have wanted to do better than 3 hours, but I really thought that was nearly impossible. School and work and life are stressing me out lately!

Anyways, got up this morning at 5, it was drizzling heavily outside. Last night I had decided to wear capri pants as it was only supposed to be 46 degrees out and also my long sleeve pink shirt. I wanted to wear pink! Got my act together and had breakfast (an english muffin with chez whiz and a half of a banana). Maybe not the smartest breakfast, but it was light. I got in the car and drove to gander mountain. I wanted to get there at 6:30 am to avoid the stress of parking, like last time. Carrie was already there and she came to sit in my truck. My stomach was turning......and it turned out to be nerves this time!! I was fine.
Before

We went to the start area and few minutes later we were off. It was still drizzling out and it was cold. I was glad for what I wore today, never felt too hot or cold. We paced well. Carrie asked me if we were planning on doing one mile walk breaks and I honestly was hoping not. The reason was it was so cold I was afraid I would have a hard time starting back up again. She ended up agreeing with me. Now we were only a mile and a half in but I had to pee!!! I knew there were going to be port-a-potties around 2 miles so I figured that would be my stop.

First round of port-a-potties I waited for a min and everyone was going by us! I was really hating losing our position in the race so I said screw it and decided I would go at the next one. Well....I didn't I ended up holding it the entire race!! LOL! Who does that?

First five miles Carrie and I ran it continuous, then her knee started bothering her. We took a few shot bloks and we walk ran as much as we could. She was really hurting, but she is tough!! We saw Paul and Elliott at Riverside Park and I think that mentally that really helped her. Then at the end of the park we saw Brian and Weston.

Carrie kept chugging along, I was carrying her stuff, water bottle, her phone/arm band, and my stuff, but she needed all the help possible and I was glad to be there. Finishing without her was not an option. Finally we made it over the half way mark timers and we had a pretty good pace going. It was long runs with short walks every once in awhile. Then mile 7 came and slapped her hard. I think at that point she was trying to not cry. She toughed it out. We got into Botanica and out of the port-a-john in front of us pops our arch rival!! That was motivation right there! Carrie had no pain any more!! (She did, but passing Jill was way more important.) I kept looking at Carrie like "slow down"...she ignored me ;). We had a long mile there where we did no walking, it was good. Then the last part of the race came....mentally it was tough, but we had done this distance before and we could do it again today.
After

Bekki was at mile 11 and it so helped us!!Paul and Elliott were waiting at 13 miles and we ran it all in! Carrie grabbed my sweaty hand with her sweaty hand and we crossed together! It was magical, (I know...lame) but it really was perfect! I could not be happier right now!
With my new medal!


Now it is time to study! I have to get back to the grind, I have 8 tests and projects due in the next two weeks...talk about stress.

The great thing about today.... I can not wait to get better!! I want to run a 2:30 half at some point, because I know I can. I want to impress myself. I want this!! Also Carrie and I are planning on doing a full marathon!! in November!! We must be certifiably nuts!! We are.

Dinner tonight with the ladies! Margaritas and a burrito!! Yum!!

No comments:

Post a Comment