So I managed to finish a 15k without keeling over!! Honestly it was awesome. Carrie and Paul picked me up Sunday morning, Kevin got home really late and was still sleeping. I apparently have this new (but not) ritual of setting all my race gear out the night before in the living room, kinda to make sure I have it all and kinda to see it as I am usually nervous!
The weather was a little chilly, but I was convinced not to wear capris or a long sleeve, figuring once I get going I would be warm. We got to the park with about 15 minutes to spare. The more I looked around the more I saw people that looked amazing! They all looked ready for 9.3 miles, then there was me and Carrie! It was a little intimidating.
 |
| We look a little disheveled! LOL! Mile 4-ish |
When the gun went off Carrie and I started off slowish. Neither of us wanted to get stuck in the "lets go out as fast as we can" group. We wanted to use this race as a training run, with a little edge :). I think we got 0.25 miles and Carrie said we should do one mile run/one minute walk intervals....I was so happy she had a plan! I was comfortable with it and even thought it was a little much for us, but game to try. We did great. Except one water stop we did great with that plan until the end. At the second water stop I was looking off to the side and I saw a Wildcat truck. I was not thinking straight I guess, because I was so confused. Anyways ~ Kevin showed up! He was at that water stop to be supportive!! I was pretty darn happy, considering I did not think he would be there at all. Also it was an out and back course so it gets lonely on those long miles.
 |
| It took us awhile, but we did it! |
When we turned around we had a couple of hills to tackle, I think that was what hurt our mental game just a little. I felt ok, but Carrie got a side stitch.She was having a hard time getting it to go away. Then a few miles after I started to get serious pains in my gut. (I honestly can not blame the gu, I think it is just my system) At around mile 8 Stephanie was there with her white board sign! It was great to see her. Then honestly I wanted to be done. I needed a porta-potty or something, but there was nothing at all! My tummy hurt so bad, and I was so afraid that I wouldn't make it.
Finally we got back to the park and we could see the finish line. Paul, Elliott, Stephanie, Kevin, and Brandi and Weston were all there to cheer us in!!! (Brandi and Weston were a pleasant surprise!!!) two hours and five minutes later!! We finished!! (with no accidents ;))
Carrie did a great job with this race and I could not have been more proud to have been her running buddy!! I think now I can safely say we are more prepared for the half marathon on October 14th. We CAN do this!!
 |
| Carrie and I finished |
No comments:
Post a Comment